EMPLOYMENT OFFER: Community Mental Health Counselor
5 days/week (35 hours) (including 2 evenings)
Contract with possibility of a permanent job
Friends for Mental Health, West Island (an association that helps families and friends who have a loved one with a mental illness) is seeking a counselor. In addition to education and support groups, we offer short or medium term psychosocial support to help families in order for them to better cope with the mental illness of their loved one.
- Masters degree in psychology, counseling or psychoeducation (or bachelor with significant experience)
- Excellent knowledge of mental health (youth and adult) and strong counseling skills
- Good judgment, empathy, flexibility, organizational skills, autonomous and able to take initiative, good writing skills, ability to analyze and synthesize
- Bilingual a must
- Minimum 2 years of experience: family experience (an asset), psychoeducation training (an asset)
- Desire to work in a community organization
- Experience and enthusiasm for working with children aged 7-18 as well as adults
Description of task and responsibilities:
- Meetings with families to provide education on mental illness, information on resources in the region, as well as, psychological counseling and guidance according to their situation.
- Development of family resources and strengthening of family cohesion. The participation of people with mental illness will be encouraged where necessary.
- Support for people in meetings with other resources if necessary.
- Facilitate groups, i.e. support, training, workshops, etc.
- Liaison work with other resources. Meetings concerning families or information about our programs, filling out applications for services.
- Requesting psychiatric evaluations.
- Keep records and write clinical notes from meetings and conversations.
- Evaluation and planning of interventions in team discussions to ensure the quality of clinical decisions. Their ethical value and congruence with the objectives of the program.
- Organization of the agenda according to the needs and availabilities.
- To read the relevant literature on medications, treatment programs, existing resources, to occasionally attend conferences or training for psychiatric services to ensure the quality of services offered in the program.
- Telephone support
- Occasionally help train new advisors.
- Contribute to other tasks that may require the expertise of advisers ASM.
Salary: 22.00$/hour, negotiable depending on experience
Application should be submitted by April 30th, 2018 to firstname.lastname@example.org